Well, yesterday I had my presentation. It didn't go as well as I'd wanted it to (I had grand delusions that I'd be a confident Lockhart and I ended up more of a stuttering Quirrell), but all in all I wasn't bad. It was kind of fun, actually. And I kind of want to do it again.
Anyway, I had the question come up about Wrock. I knew it would; it's hard to explain it without music, but I knew I'd be tight on time even without adding in a video. I stuttered through an explanation about how it's basically fan music--filking, really--about the series, from the points of views of the characters, or playing off the emotions from particular scenes, and that there are ... a lot of bands. According to the Wizard Rockumentary site, there are more than 300 Wrock groups. As an aside, I've seen that film, and it's brilliant. And the Wizrocklopedia ... they've spent a lot more time researching the start of Wrock than I have, so I suggest checking them out if you're interested.
But it really is hard to explain what Wrock is without videos. So here's some videos of Wrockers in action.
Ministry of Magic is one of my favourite wrock bands, easily. They're brilliant. And they can actually sing--which, sad to say, is not always the case. Another song of theirs I suggest checking out is This Town. And ... pretty much everything else they've done. They really are one of my favourites. :)
Another brilliantly fun group is Draco and the Malfoys. They were one of the first groups I actually enjoyed listening to, and their songs are ... well, focused on being rather more Slytherin than say ... Harry and the Potters.
This is kind of how a lot of their stuff is. Mean as a hungry Doxy, but hilarious. I also recommend Potions Yesterday, and pretty much the rest of their stuff.
A band I've known of for a while but only just recently started listening to is Gred and Forge. I don't know that much about them besides the fact that I am in love with them.
They also did Our Fireworks Say Poo, so you know, that's always fun. :)
And just to show it's not a men-only field (I just kind of like the guy groups better), here's The Moaning Myrtles:
My all-time favourite of their songs is a bit more Christmassy; Nargles in the Mistletoe.
But anyway, there's a very short and brief intro into just what sort of stuff falls into Wrock music. Trust me; it can be a death spiral, going from one band to the next, finding more songs and eating away at your afternoon. But if you like it, please go check out more!
*Note: The title of this post comes from a Whomping Willows song of the same name.
No comments:
Post a Comment