Thursday, October 13, 2011

If the Sorting Hat put you in "Poufsouffle," what would YOU do?

Did you guys know Harry Potter's been translated officially into 69 languages? Including some I've never heard of--Faroese, Gujarati, and Malayalam, for starters. I know, Wiki's a crappy source, but these all have links to other pages about it, and I'm far too lazy today to do that legwork myself.

But anyway, that's a lot of translating! Can you imagine being the person charged with translating some of JK's unique spells and words into a non-English language and keeping the same meanings? Insane!

On a slightly related note, Muggle is in the OED. I think that's awesome. I'd swear Quidditch and Squib were, too, but I haven't got proof of that on hand. But that proves Harry's beyond just a book, doesn't it? The words are so common that the definitive dictionary even agrees!

Yep, Muggle's right up there with yepsen and mankini. I can't believe mankini is in the OED. Isn't that the first sign of the apocalypse?

2 comments:

  1. That's really cool! And the word Mankini cracks me up. Yepsen, not so funny. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kaybe: Mankini is one of those words that just ... I don't even know, lol. I can't believe it's in the dictionary. That's just mind-boggling.

    And yepsen is one of those words you can use to confuse people. ;)

    ReplyDelete